Graduation Requirements Common to All AHS Students

Progress Toward Degree

According to the student code, students must make adequate progress toward a degree and this progress is determined by each College (  The College of AHS requires that students take a least 3 credits toward their degree each semester.  These credits must be applicable toward the core or concentration requirements within the curriculum.  Students who do no comply with this policy may be asked to find another academic program.

General Education
The UIUC Senate adopted a revised set of General Education requirements in 1989. Many of the current General Education requirements are completed through courses already prescribed within the curriculum of choice. All students must complete:

  • Composition I
  • (Community Health, Kinesiology and Recreation, Sport and Tourism require a speech performance class.)
  • Advanced Composition
  • Quantitative Reasoning I
  • Quantitative Reasoning II
  • Six to nine semester hours in each of the following categories: (Please note that most of the curriculums exceed the minimum.)
    • Natural Sciences & Technology (six semester hours)
    • Social & Behavioral Sciences (six semester hours)
    • Humanities & the Arts  (six semester hours)
    • Cultural Studies (a three course campus requirement totaling nine semester hours):
      • Non-Western Cultures
      • US Minority Cultures
      • Western Cultures

Courses that appear on multiple lists may be used to fulfill more than one requirement. While a single course can satisfy multiple requirements, the credit hours will only be counted once.

Foreign Language Requirement

Effective for all entering freshmen in Fall 2000 and later, the following language requirement must be completed for graduation. This requirement may be satisfied by:

  • Successfully completing a third-semester college-level course in a language other than English;
  • Successful completion, in high school, of the third year of a language other than English; or
  • Demonstrating proficiency at the third semester level in a language proficiency examination approved by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the appropriate department.

If you enter UIUC without three years of the same foreign language in high school, you must take a foreign language placement test to determine the courses in which you should enroll.

Non-Primary Language Waiver

Students with a documented disability may petition to substitute a course to meet the foreign language requirement. Students wishing to substitute a course for the foreign language requirement will need to meet with their Division of Rehabilitation-Education advisor and the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs. Petitioning does not waive the requirement. For more information students should contact their academic advisor.

Total Hours

Students must successfully complete at least 128 semester hours to graduate in the College of Applied Health Sciences.

Minimum Grade Point Average

All candidates for a degree must have at least a 2.0 (C) average on all University of Illinois credits counted for graduation requirements and at least a 2.0 average on the combined transfer and University of Illinois credits counted for graduation requirements.


See Student Code: Each candidate for a bachelor's degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign must earn at least 60 semester hours of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign credit, of which at least 21 hours must be 300 or 400 level courses at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.


If you want to graduate, you have to Visit UI-Integrate Self-Service, which notifies the College of Applied Health Sciences when you intend to graduate (go to the Graduation tab and click Apply to Graduate). You’ll do it at the same time that you register for your final semester of classes through the student registration system. Important: You have until the 10th day of your final term to add yourself to the degree list. After that, you have to contact the Academic Records Officer, Tina Klebek (, to be added.
Please note, indicating your intent to graduate does not automatically register you for the commencement and convocation ceremonies. To participate, you must register here:


Undergraduate Minors
Undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program at Illinois are not required to complete a minor for degree certification. However, many find this a desirable opportunity to study at some depth in subject matter of additional interest to their major field of study. To officially pursue a minor on this campus, students must be aware of the information and follow the procedures outlined below. The completion of the minor is an optional degree requirement to the baccalaureate program. The sponsoring department of the minor is responsible for informing students of the approved requirements for the minor and for any advising associated with the minor.

Students' enrollment periods will not be extended for the purpose of completing a minor. No priority on class registration will be given for courses required in the minor. Minor(s) will not be added retroactively to a student’s record after graduation. The student is responsible for notifying their academic advisor of the desire to pursue a minor by completing and appropriately filing the Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus-Approved Minor. In the event of an Inter College Transfer (ICT), the student is responsible for notifying her/his new college of intent to pursue a minor by providing the Statement of Intent form.

The Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus-Approved Minor may be submitted to the student’s college of enrollment after 60 hours have been earned, and must be submitted no later than 5:00 p.m. of the first day of classes in the term of the student’s graduation. Any variance from courses required in the minor must be approved on the Minor’s Modification Form by the unit sponsoring the minor and submitted to the student’s college office by 5:00 p.m. of the first day of class in the term of the student’s graduation. This includes any courses substituted for any minor requirement, such as an independent study course. The student is responsible for notifying her/his college of cancellation of the minor by completing the Minor's Modification Form and submitting completed form to his/her advisor and assistant dean of academic affairs.

All forms affiliated with undergraduate minors can be found on the Provost's web page above.

Students interested in declaring the Aging minor are encouraged to review the requirements below:

Study Abroad

Students may earn credit towards graduation by participating in a UIUC Study Abroad Program. A variety of programs are offered and do vary in terms of costs and length. Students may take courses towards their major or minor or in other areas of interests. Some programs may offer opportunities to volunteer, do internships, or research, allowing students the chance to explore their field from an international perspective.

With careful planning, students can choose to go abroad for various lengths of time, whether it is over winter break, during the summer, for a semester or even for an entire year. However, students are advised to work in close consultation with their academic advisor to map out how this will fit into their academic plan, as well as with the Study Abroad Office to explore possible programs to fit their needs.

Whether courses are taken as electives or to satisfy requirements, they are typically taken for grades and require pre-approval by an academic advisor and by the AHS Dean’s Office prior to departing to study abroad. AHS students are advised not to study abroad during their final semester due to the delay in credit transferring from abroad and the possible risk this poses to awarding their degree in a timely manner.