BS-MPH for CHLH FAQs
Why should Community Health undergraduates consider earning both BS and MPH degrees?
If the Community Health BS degree program is a good match for a student's interests and abilities, then an MPH degree program is likely to be a good match too. Additionally, an undergraduate degree in Community Health is an excellent background for advanced study in public health. For students interested in a career as a practitioner, the MPH degree is the most widely recognized credential for a career in public health. Students who are more interested in research should consider MS and PhD degree programs. However, the MPH degree does lay the basis for further study in a doctoral program in public health.
When Community Health students enter the BS-MPH program, what approved courses do they take prior to the end of their 4th (senior) year that count for both BS and MPH degrees?
- CHLH 410 Public Health Practice (4 credit hours, offered fall and spring terms). It is preferable to enroll in the MPH section (section B) of this course offered in fall of senior year. Students will be instructed how to enroll in the MPH section upon admission to the BS-MPH.
- CHLH 469 Environmental Health (3-4 credit hours, offered spring term only). BS-MPH students who take CHLH 469 in their senior year will enroll in the 4 credit hour MPH section in spring term.
- Choose one 400-level course that counts toward the BS degree and toward the MPH degree. (View complete list here).
Are there any pre-requisite courses I need to take before applying for the BS-MPH program?
The Community Health curriculum requires CHLH 274 Introduction to Epidemiology. This course is a pre-requisite for community health majors applying for BS-MPH program. Applicants must complete this course before applying and must achieve a B or higher.
I am interested in the BS-MPH. What are the next steps?
- Attend an MPH open house on the BS-MPH program (dates and times announced each term)
- Review the MPH website and the general BS-MPH FAQs on the website that provides a detailed information about the BS-MPH program. In particular, understand the characteristics of strong applicants, how to apply for the program, the MPH degree requirements, and the course schedule during the 5th year.
- Meet with your undergraduate advisor to ensure you have room in your schedule to take the BS and MPH courses in by the end of senior year.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or more information.