AMS Employment - Alt Media Production (Text Conversion)
Accessible Media Services (AMS) is looking for YOU!
Positions now available in the Alternative Media Production (Text Conversion) services for student workers to help convert course material. Students will be trained in converting course materials into accessible formats, such as MS Word or PDF, for students with disabilities. Students will also be trained in Video Captioning services for when books are caught up.
- Flexible schedule
- Minimum of 10 hours per week (must work 5 of the hours Mon - Fri)
- undergrad students can work up to 20 hrs/week
- graduate students can work up to 30 hrs/week
- Hours may fluctuate during finals
- Starting wage - $12.00
- High security (Required to sign a confidentiality statement)
- Students may work in the office or remotely
- Convert print course material to accessible documents using Abbyy Fine Reader following accessibility standards (ie: text recognition, zoning areas, and marking reading order)
- Edit exported documents to meet accessibility standards (ie: number pages, add headings, and input alt-text to images)
- Convert STEM material (if applicable) using equation editing software
- (Captioning) Create transcripts of videos following rules laid out in the Captioning Key created by DCMP.
- Use project management software to keep track of time worked on each aspect of project.
- Use project management software to keep time sheets.
- Clear communication skills
- Organized person who pays close attention to details
- Able to work with both Mac and PC
- Can work independently
- Must be able to sit and work keyboard and mouse for extended periods.
- Typing skills at least 60+wpm.
- Must be a University of Illinois Student or have a Bachelor’s Degree
- If you already use the AMS services, you are not eligible to be employed due to conflict of interest.
Christy Blew, M.S. C.C.T.
Disability Specialist, Alternate Media Production
Accessible Media Services (AMS)
Disability Resources and Educational Services
University of Illinois
1207 S. Oak St., Champaign, IL 61820 - MC 574
Phone: (217) 244-6759
Fax: (217) 333-0014
AMS Email: email@example.com